Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Hansel and Gretel

I have spent the most horrible days of my life not long ago. It has only been one year now, when the worst has happened to my family. Today, like my brother Hansel says, we give well thanks to God for having this food.

It all began last year; my father was a wood-cutter. I lived in a very poor house. In it were my brother and my stepmother too. I always thought she was very helpful and considerate. But it all changed with just simple path down to the deep of the forest. It was one night that Hansel and I were terribly hungry. We could not sleep for all we knew. When I heard my step-mother telling my father something. Hansel was listening real closely.

We were going to be left all alone in the middle of a dark forest. How terrible. How lucky to have my older brother by my side. He went outside and I looked out through the window. Hansel picked up many white pebbles. They seemed to shine in the night. Right away I knew what we had a plan. “Be comforted, dear little sister, and sleep in peace, God will not forsake us” he said. His words did comfort me.

It was our first trip to the forest. Hansel kept on making his path. When we finally stopped, my father and mother went on ahead to “find wood”. But we knew where they were really heading. Hansel and I were tired, and so we went straight to take a nap. Later when we woke up I saw the dark surrounding. I was afraid that something out there would hurt me.

I woke my brother up, and we headed back home. The same thing happened all over again. Soon, our nightmare became true. Hansel’s plan did not work. We were lost. On the third morning we got to a candy house. I starved and grabbed anything I could to eat. I dropped everything when an old lady came out. But she was no threat. At least that’s what I thought. We lived happy, not until she told me she was going to kill my brother and locked him in a cage. I tricked her when she asked me to go in the oven. With all my power I pushed her in, and quickly locked the little door. Then, crying, I went over to my brother and got him out.

One nice duck took me and Hansel back to our home. Unfortunately, my evil stepmother died. My father took us both in. Now he did not have to starve. We had all we ever wanted. To this day I can vividly feel and imagine everything. My brother is the same, but he tells me to forget about it. Its best for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment